Friday, November 23, 2012

Thankful Living


I drove down to Yelm in crazy weather on Monday to meet up with my family. My sister and brother-in-law and their six year old daughter, Katie, were in town for Thanksgiving. Leaving the house at 7:30am trying to beat the traffic did not work. The rain was steady and traffic was a mess. Once I got through Seattle though, it was free sailing - literally. I felt like I was on a sea several times during the drive. It couldn’t be more ideal WA weather for my sister. 

It’s been a busy week, visiting and Thanksgiving. I’ve been able to maintain my activity level to some degree (thanks to my very fit brother-in-law), but getting all the veggies and fruit in will take some planning. My sister made her “green” drink for me on Wednesday and Friday. She purees a banana, carrots, spinach, kale and ice in a blender. She usually strains it at home using a painters bag or a french press, as I didn’t have either we drank the pulp. It’s a good way to get several servings of fruit and veggies down and taste pretty good, depending on how ripe the bananas are. I might try it with 1/2 an apple and 1/2 banana, instead of one  whole banana. 

Monday: 15 min stretches, 5 mile run, 30 min stretches with kicks
Tuesday: 2 mile run, 30 minute stretches
Wednesday: Cooked 
Thursday: 5K Turkey Trot, 15 min stretches
Friday: 15 minute circuit, 10 minutes of stretching 

My daughter did her first full real 5k, our local Turkey Trot, yesterday (she did the Zombie Run in October, but became a zombie before she finished, so I'm not counting that). I am so proud of her! My brother-in-law graciously ran alone and I was able to run/walk the race with her. It was a blast, with lots of happy people (and dogs) around us. I’d love to make it a yearly event. She and I finished in 41 minutes and I couldn’t be prouder of her. 



I’m so very thankful for having time with my sister; she is one of my most favorite people in the world. I’m also thankful for my daughters, who constantly amaze me with their abilities and goodness. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is a wonderful memory to share and a great tradition to start!

    ReplyDelete